Launch times
I notice that this Saturday’s paddle out of Wetherill and many others list a 9:30 start time. Can someone please clarify whether the start time shown on the calendar is the arrival time or the launch time? I think it would be helpful to clarify that on the calendar to avoid any confusion. Thanks!  - Rick
I know I am going against the (relatively recent) grain here, but I believe in just posting the launch time. Some people can be ready in 1/2 hour, but others need more time (I personally allow at least an hour for prep before launch). If just the launch time is posted, people will know for themselves how much time it takes to get ready. Also, it avoids confusion, as just ONE time is out there. I would also capitalize 'LAUNCH' (eg. LAUNCH time is at 10:00AM) to emphasize that it is a 'launch time', and not an 'arrive time.' We seemed to have picked up this practice of posting 'arrive' and 'launch' times from the Flatwater group, who have been doing it for years. Just my opinion.

Tony
Rocks are our friends!  Rolleyes
Thanks Rick and Tony. The times posted are always LAUNCH time. Just like flight departure times. As Tony commented, it’s up to each paddler to choose their arrival time based on the posted Launch time; we usually suggest at least 30 minutes earlier.
(06-21-2023, 12:22 PM)Cam Wrote: Thanks Rick and Tony. The times posted are always LAUNCH time. Just like flight departure times. As Tony commented, it’s up to each paddler to choose their arrival time based on the posted Launch time; we usually suggest at least 30 minutes earlier.

That is fine with me, but we need to be CLEAR and CONSISTENT, which we are not. Eg, the Wetherill paddle is posted on the calendar with a 9:30 start time, but Tim’s post says we will launch at 10. This is likely to result in some folks arriving earlier than they intended and others arriving after the group has launched. Can someone please clarify this in the discussion AND on the calendar)  Thanks!
Yes, I agree with Rick on this.

The calendar needs to state the specifics . It’s too ambiguous as it reads now.

It’s good that Tim gave more info in his recent post. Perhaps each trip coordinator 
should clarify the time and what the trip entails under Paddles.

Jon
Is it feasible for trip coordinators to be able to edit their trips in the calendar?  Right now it seems we have to wait for each coordinator to post details in Paddles only a few days ahead.
Exclamation 
The posted times on the calendar were the arrival times from the schedule that was provided.
We have essentially three 'times' that are being discussed, namely "arrival times", "meet-up times", and "launch times". First, "arrival times"...people arrive when they want to. Some, like myself, arrive at least an hour earlier than any posted "arrival time". Others, (whether they be faster to set up, or more efficient), arrive later. Second, "meet-up times"...is there ever any one time that people meet up, since they arrive at various times? Thirdly, to me, LAUNCH TIME alone is significant, in that it is a specific time, which all of the paddlers are obligated to honor. No one is obligated to be there at an "arrival time"...they can arrive 3 hours earlier, or some time later, as long as they are ready to go at "launch time". As Ricky B. indicated, there is plenty of ground for misunderstanding when there is more than one "time" out there.
                                                                Tony
Rocks are our friends!  Rolleyes
Based on the information I was given, it appeared the that the appropriate time to use was the "arrival time" as that was the time trip coordinators, or some other administrative group, wanted people to be at the put in such that everyone had time to sort themselves out and to do pre-trip intros and providing the chance of actually being on the water by the "launch time".

Personally, I don't think it matters what "time" is used on the calendar - I assume people will basically try to be at the put-in sometime before, or just at, the posted time. The difference between "arrival time", "launch time", or any other "... time" is all semantics.

Trip coordinators should send me the "time" they want used on the calendar regardless of if that is when they intend to be on the water or if that is when they want people to be at the launch for whatever reason.

If there is a drop-dead time to be on the water, say because of tides, that should be clearly stated in the trip description.